10.29.2013

Trick or Treat

Tomorrow evening marks a special event! Unlike most evenings, when my sweet tooth is neglected, in favor of healthier bites; on October 31st, Halloween, my sugar cravings will be satiated. I pretty much throw all of my dieting rules out the window, and turn to the likes of Reeses, Almond Joy and M&Ms (as I greedily and without haste, dig through my kids' treat bag).  

Tomorrow evening, however, will be different. If I am going to indulge my cravings and treat myself (think quality over quantity), I want every bite to be better than the last.


For me, there is no better way to achieve this greatness than to make it myself. So, I sought out to make a BIGGER, BETTER toffee bar. Tomorrow evening will be different, for sure! You won't be finding me secretly digging through my kids' treats, but rather, enjoying my own sweet treat.


CHOCOLATE ALMOND SALTED TOFFEE BAR (6 bars)

1/2 lb butter
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon water
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup chocolate chips
2 teaspoons of fleur de sel

MATERIALS

Silicone Candy Bar mold (like this. I used my small silicone bread molds.)
Candy thermometer
Large Pyrex measuring glass
Aluminum foil
Festive Halloween candy wrappers (I used LIA GRIFFITH'S adorable wrappers)

ONE: Bring butter, sugar and water to a boil, over moderate heat, whirling the pan around occasionally until ingredients are blended and smooth
TWO: Insert the thermometer in the pan and heat until the mixture is golden and registers 300 degrees, about 20 minutes
THREE: Immediately stir in the almonds and a 1/2 teaspoon of fleur de sel
FOUR: Carefully transfer the mixture to the Pyrex glass (to ease the process of pouring into the molds)
FIVE: Evenly pour the mixture into the molds and let stand for 1 minute
SIX: Sprinkle handful of chocolate chips over each bar, waiting about 4 minutes until chocolate is melted
SEVEN: Spread chocolate evenly with a offset spatula and sprinkle with chopped walnuts and/or more fleur de sel
EIGHT: Refrigerate (or freeze if you want them sooner) bars until firm, about 1 hour.


Once the toffee is firm, wrap the bars in aluminum foil, then adorn with a personalized label. In addition, I chopped one of the bars into bits, and packed them in a cellophane bag with a FESTIVE WRAPPER.

Halloween is no longer just for kids!

Thumbnail Image Source//Christina Cassidy/We Heart It

No comments:

Post a Comment